Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roommate Matching

I live in an off campus dorm. It is veryy nice and it is apartment style with a kitchen and living room. There are two bedrooms with bunk beds in them. I wanted to write this post today to all the high schoolers out there who are about to go to college or are thinking about it and give you some advice about roommates!!

#1- LIVE IN A DORM YOUR FIRST YEAR! Yes it sucks to have four girls crammed in a tiny place and share one shower, but that is the whole college experience. By living in a dorm you will meet tons of people, get involved, and be close to campus. I know apartments or houses are nicer, but you have your whole life to live in one of those. And living in a small dorm will really make you grateful for your parents house. Definitely live in a dorm freshman year, you won't regret it!

#2- Be careful living with your best friend. Everytime I tell people that I share a room with my best friend, they give me a concerned look like they feel sorry for me. It isn't great for everyone, but living with my best friend was the best decision I could have made. Amalia and I are more than best friends, so we don't get in girlfights or get mad at eachother. She knows my pet peeves and limits and I know hers, so it just works! So when you are thinking about who to live with, think very hard! For me it worked out WONDERFULLY, but not everyone is that fortunate.

#3- If you can't think of anyone to life with, go "Pot Luck" with your roommates and meet your life long best friends! Most dorms provide a service called "Roommate Matching" where you fill out a survey and info about yourself, and they match you up with a compatible roommate. One of my roommate's Emily is from Dallas and she was "Pot Luck" and she could not be sweeter!! Potluck can be great or it can be weird. My mom's freshman year she had a potluck roommate who wore all black with a spiked collar. Of course they became friends. Don't be scared to take a chance! If it turns out good, you just made some great new friends and if it turns out bad, then you can look back on those experiences and laugh!

Anyway, hopefully any future college students reading this got a little something out of me sharing about my time in a dorm! It is totally worth it ;-)

TF



No comments: